Ten Ways to Make Chocolate Bark
Today we had our [unseasonably early!] first snow, and there seemed no better day to throw together some holiday bark. It is ridiculously easy, unbelievably tasty and just so pretty to look at! Plus, I enlisted the help of my little holiday elf 🙂
Ingredients: white chocolate morsels, semi-sweet morsels, cranberries, almonds and crushed candy canes
I melted the chocolate in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between, with a total meltdown time of 1:15. Then I poured it onto a foiled cookie tin. For the peppermint bark, I popped my semi-sweet layer in the fridge while I melted the white chocolate so the layers would stay separate. But for the cranberry almond bark, I kept the chocolate layer warm so I could swirl the dark and white together with a knife. After a generous dump of goodies on top, I refridgerated them until hardened. And then you just break it apart and start munching! A helpful tip: Because you get to enjoy both sides of the finished bark, remember that you can always spread a topping out first, pour chocolate over it, [harden], pour opposing chocolate,and then top with second topping. You will see what I mean in the picture at the very end. Cheers!
This is a great project to do with your kids and honestly, the way the box stores produce theme candy for every holiday, I don’t know why you can’t make Valentine’s or Easter or Halloween bark! And with a little ribbon and some clear holiday bags, you have an easy peasy homemade gift for friends, family, teachers and coaches. Here are some other things you could throw together to make chocolate bark your own!
- Confetti Bark: seasonally colored M&Ms in white chocolate
- Sweet N Salty Bark: crushed Pretzels in semi-sweet chocolate with heath
- Tuxedo Bark: crushed Oreos in white chocolate
- Minted Bark: Andes Mints in dark chocolate
- Dreamsicle Bark: Zested Orange Peel in white chocolate
- Smores Bark: Marshmallows and Teddy Grahams in dark chocolate
- Caramel Latte Bark: Coffee beans in caramel morsels
- Health Nut: granola and banana chips in white chocolate
- Real Tree Bark: (for the kids!) Gummi Worms and bran flakes in semi-sweet chocolate